About the Purchasing Department
The Purchasing Agent is responsible for purchases regulated by the City and its Charter, section 7.14 The Purchasing Agent reports directly to the Director of Finance.
The Purchasing Department is located at 54 Hill Street, Shelton, Ct 06484. The office is open Tuesday thru Friday 8:00am - 5:30pm.
All appointments are scheduled in advance by calling 203-924-1555 x 1506
The Purchasing Agent shall let to bid all purchases (including those made by the Board of Education) which reasonably may involve the expenditure of Five Thousand Dollars ($7,500.00) or more by the Invitation of sealed bids, giving at least ten (10) days notice of the closing for bids by publication at least once In a newspaper having A substantial circulation in the City. Within five (5) days after the closing date for bids, the bids shall be opened publicly by the Purchasing Agent contract for the purchase to the lowest responsible bidder, provided however, the City may reject any, all or any part of any bids. If the authority to award contracts has been delegated, shall award contracts. The Board of Aldermen may establish such other regulations for purchases and bidding as It deems appropriate.
When any purchase Involves an expenditure In excess of TwoThousand Dollars ($2,000.00) and does not exceed SevenThousand FiveHundred and Ninety Nine Dollars ($7,500.00), the Purchasing Agent, or In the case of the Board of Education, an agent designated by the Board of Education, shall obtain a minimum of three written proposals for the purchase of the item and shall make such purchase from the lowest responsible vendor, unless the Purchasing Agent, or In the case of the Board of Education, an agent designated by the Board of Education determines other wise and in that event, the Purchasing Agent or in the case, of the Board of Education, an agent designated by the Board of Education shall create and maintain a written record of the reasons for such choice.
"Purchase" as used herein shall be defined to include the purchase In any fiscal year of any item, service or combination of items or services which singly or in the aggregate total the amounts indicated herein. Aggregate purchases shall not be divided into smaller increments so as to avoid the provisions called for herein.
The Board of Aldermen and the Board of Education for its purchases shall establish by resolution those services which are considered as professional and as to which bidding is not required. The Board of Aldermen and the Board of Education respectively may by such resolution establish such procedures with regard thereto as each deems reasonable. When the purchase of goods and the provision for services are combined, that portion involving the purchase of goods shall be subject to the provisions of this section.
Waiver of Bids: Whenever the Purchasing Agent shall determine that bidding for any particular goods or services would be impractical, impossible, or unwise, the Purchasing Agent shall recommend to the Board of Aldermen that bids be waived. Each such recommendation shall be in writing and shall state its reason. If the Board approves such recommendation by an affirmative vote of at least six (6) of the eight (8) members, bids shall, be waived and the goods or services shall be purchased In such manner as the Board of Aldermen directs.
The Director of Finance shall record the amount of each authorized purchase and each contract for a future purchase a encumbrance against the appropriation from which it is paid or to be paid.
Each charge and prospective charge against at the City shall state the Department and the appropriation against which it is to be charged. The Director of Finance or his agent shall audit and approve as correct and valid each charge against the City and shall authorize payment of all approved charges in writing. At the end of each month the Board of Apportionment and Taxation shall review the charges against the City for the preceding month and may make recommendations to the Mayor concerning charges against the City.
The Director of Finance shall prescribe the time at which and the manner in which persons receiving money for the account of the City shall be paid.
Online Purchasing Forms
Current Bid Invitations
Please contact the Purchasing Department for complete Bid Packets
54 Hill Street – Second Floor
Shelton, CT 06484
(203) 924-1555 ext. 1506
Tuesday - Friday 8:00 A.M. – 5:30 P.M.
Federal Tax ID #:
To receive bid specifications please contact the purchasing department, (203) 924-1555 Ext.1304.
All are welcome here at the Shelton Senior Center, residents and non-residents. Our top priority is to provide our seniors with a wide range of services and classes, social events, activities, fitness classes, trips and outings, educational workshops, and health/safety awareness programs.
All seniors ages 55 and older are welcome to join. Membership applications must be filled out in person at the Center. All memberships are effective January of each year and expire December 31st the same year. We do accept applications year round. No prorating. Cash or check only.
- Shelton Residents Rate: $4.00 per year
- Ansonia, Derby and Seymour Residents Rate: $7.00 per year
- All other out of town Residents Rate: $10.00 per year
A copy of our monthly newsletter is mailed out each month to all active members. It can also be viewed online for public viewing on the City of Shelton main page. Please click on the Senior Center link to upload
Shelton Senior Center Offerings
- FREE transportation is available to all Shelton residents on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays through Valley Transit. Please contact Valley Transit at 203-735-6408 the day before to utilize this service. Approximate arrival to the Center is 10:00am and departure from Center is 3:00/4:00pm. Through Valley Transit we also provide on Wednesdays a shopping bus to a specific local shopping center. Please see our monthly newsletter for schedules.
- Lunch is served daily and is $3.00 per meal. All meals are cooked on premises in our commercial kitchen and served from 11:45am-12:15pm.
- Assistance with Benefits Programs such as ConnPace, Medicare, Agency of Aging, Choices and Renters Rebate. Please call center Monday – Friday from 10:00am-2:00pm, for more information.
- Health screenings are offered monthly. The screenings included are hearing, blood pressure, a medical van on site, foot care, Flu vaccinations, and pharmaceutical needs.
- Educational programs offered monthly range between computer classes, photo classes, nutrition and medical workshops, driver safety classes, elder law and crime safety discussions.
- Wide range of travel opportunities; local, national and international trips offered throughout the year. Please see our monthly newsletter for trip offerings and registration dates.
- Seasonal themed fun social events and dances offered all year round.
- Fitness classes are offered daily and include: Walking Club at The Shelton Riverwalk, Strength Training, Cardio Aerobics, Wii Bowling, Chair Yoga, Tai Chi, Zumba Gold, Square Dance, Line Dance, Ballroom, and Country Line Dance.
- Other classes include: Art, Painting, Ceramics (kiln on site), Arts & Crafts, Crocheting, Knitting, Quilting, Book Club, Chorus and Music.
- Gaming groups meet many times throughout the week and include: Bingo, Bridge, Pinochle, Mah Jongg, Canasta, Billiards, Setback, Dominoes, Scrabble, and Billiards.
- Fitness equipment is available here for use and consists of treadmills and recumbent bikes.
- Billiard room with four pool tables is on site. Lessons are available and specific group gathering times are noted in the monthly newsletter.
- A large Bingo room is on premises. Bingo is held on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 1:00pm. Prizes are awarded for each individual game played. Light refreshments served.
- Our beautiful library with fireplace is fully equipped with books for lending or just a nice quiet area to relax with friends.
- A Computer Lab is available and fully equipped with multiple computers/printers. Classes are offered every seven weeks for an additional charge of $10.00 per person. Please see newsletter for upcoming registration dates.
Please note: Many new events, classes and programs are always being offered throughout the year and posted in our monthly newsletter.
- All are welcome to attend.
- Commissioner’s Meeting is held the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 4:00pm.
- Membership Meeting is held the 2nd Friday of every month at 10:30am.
We look forward to seeing you all soon!
From, All your friends at The Shelton Senior Center