Contact: Robert F. Kulacz, P.E. City Engineer
Location: City Hall 3rd Floor Room 305
Address: 54 Hill Street
City, State, Zip: Shelton CT, 06484
Telephone: (203)924-1555, Extension 17
Hours: Tuesday – Friday 8:00-5:30pm
About EngineeringThe Office of the City Engineer has responsibilities that include the improvement of City infrastructure, the review of development applications, road construction inspection, street excavation oversight and the maintenance of municipal record maps.
Shelton’s infrastructure includes 215 miles of City roads, one major bridge, eight short span bridges and 21 major road culvert structures.Typical infrastructure tasks include:
- Preparing construction plans and specifications for roadway or drainage improvements.
- Overseeing the design of road reconstruction or bridge replacement projects performed by consultants. The Commerce Drive Reconstruction Project was one such undertaking.
- Overseeing pavement rehabilitation and pavement reclamation projects performed by our contractors.
- Subdivision applications for the creation of new streets and building lots
- Site plans for corporate, industrial and retail developments
- Driveway Permit Applications for new single-family homes
Excavation made in City streets by contractors and utility companies are regulated by ordinance, require a permit and are overseen by Engineering. The staff inspects all excavation to ensure the proper backfilling, compaction and temporary paving of each street opening. The coordination and scheduling of permanent pavement repairs is the final phase of the permit process. Typical excavation purposes include:
- Replacement of gas mains and/or services
- Repair of water main breaks or leaking water services
- New connections to the public sanitary sewer
- Replacement of sidewalks and driveways within the City right of way
Lastly, engineering also has the responsibility of the following tasks:
- Coordinates the Sidewalk Replacement & Reimbursement Program
- Issues new or additional street addresses
- Coordinates the installation of water main extensions and prepares water main assessments.
- Prepares application for state and federal construction reimbursement programs.
- Coordinates stormwater management requirements and implements stormwater ordinance provisions.
Excavation Permits (for street openings)
Excavation Permits (for sanitary sewer connections)
Excavation Permits (for sidewalk replacements)
Excavation Permits (for driveway replacements/resurfacing)
Driveway Permits (for new homes, new curb cuts or driveway relocations)
Site Plan Approvals (for new single-family homes and duplexes)
ApplicationsApplication for Excavation Permit
Application for Traffic Authority Approval for Street Excavation
Application for Driveway Permit
Application for Site Plan Review
Application for Activity Within City Right of Way (Tree Warden)
Requirements and Procedures for Street Excavation Permits
Permanent Pavement Restoration Fees
Driveway Regulations (Ordinance and Construction Details)
Reimbursement of Property Owners for the Construction or Replacement of Sidewalks and Curbs
Electronic Map File Purchase Agreement (for digital map data)
OrdinancesOrdinance 791 Street Excavation
Ordinance 854 Stormwater Management / Operations and Maintenance Requirements
Ordinance 855 Illegal Discharges and Illicit Connections to the Public Storm Drainage System