To have all records available to the Public using modern technology. This office is the repository of all city records and vital statistics which date back to the 1700. Available are real estate and land records; birth, death and marriage certificates. To carefully maintain sporting licenses, dog licenses. To keep permanent records of boards and commissions meetings. To issue absentee ballots and certify election results. To maintain trade names, notary certificates and liquor license registrations.
All transactions involving land situated in Shelton must be recorded in the Office of the City/Town Clerk. This includes, but is not limited to: deeds, mortgages, attachments, liens, judgments, tax liens, assessments, conveyances, maps, planning & zoning, and other miscellaneous legal documents pertaining to land use.
The City/Town Clerk records and keeps permanent documentation and indexing of all transactions. These Land Records are open for public inspection during normal business hours.
The Basic fee schedule for Land Recording and Copies is as follows:
- Recording Documents: $53.00 First Page
- $5.00 each subsequent page or portion
- “MERS” Mortgages – $159.00 first page, $5.00 each additional page
- “MERS” Assignments or Releases – $159.00 per documentAd
- Copy of Document $1.00 per page
- For Certifying Documents $2.00 each
- Copies of Maps, surveys Cost of reproduction
- For Certifying Maps $2.00 each
- Map of Single Lot $10.00 each
- Maps of subdivisions of two or more parcels $20.00
Note that Local and State Conveyance Taxes are due and payable when recording the document.
A new State budget was adopted that affects local real estate conveyance tax. municipal real estate conveyance 0.25% of the sale price.
|Recording & maintaining land records (See above)||All Board & Commission Meetings|
|Birth, Death & Marriage records||Military Discharge Records|
|Probate Recordings||Land Record Maps & Flood Maps|
|Marriage License Application||Zoning Regulations|
|Notary Certificate Registration||Voter Registration Lists|
|Recording of Variance & ZBA Applications||Campaign & Town Committee Financial Reports|
|Scheduling & posting of All Town Meetings||Boat Ramp Registration|
|Administering Oaths||Election Results|
|To Board & Commissions Appointees||Election Responsibilities|
|Notary Certifications||Under the Guidance & directions of the Office of the Secretary of The State, Pertaining to Admission of Electors.|
|Documents to be Notarized||Absentee Ballots|
|Electors & voting poll officials||Nominating Petitions|
You can download these documents and print them on your local printer:
- Request for copy of Birth Certificate
- Request for copy of Death Certificate
- Request for copy of Marriage Certificate
- Marriage License Worksheet (Marriage License has to be filled out in presence of town clerk by both Bride and Groom)
- Justices of the Peace
- Boat Ramp Permit Information
- License your DOG
All requests for vital statistic information must be received in writing, accompanied by the proper payment. Birth Records are considered confidential and are not open to the public, unless the birth occurred prior to 1900. You may request a birth certificate only for yourself or your child.