About the Purchasing Department
The Purchasing Agent is responsible for purchases regulated by the City and its Charter, section 7.14 The Purchasing Agent reports directly to the Director of Finance.
The Purchasing Department is located at 54 Hill Street, Shelton, Ct 06484. The office is open Tuesday thru Friday 8:00am - 5:30pm.
All appointments are scheduled in advance by calling 203-924-1555 x 1506
The Purchasing Agent shall let to bid all purchases (including those made by the Board of Education) which reasonably may involve the expenditure of Five Thousand Dollars ($7,500.00) or more by the Invitation of sealed bids, giving at least ten (10) days notice of the closing for bids by publication at least once In a newspaper having A substantial circulation in the City. Within five (5) days after the closing date for bids, the bids shall be opened publicly by the Purchasing Agent contract for the purchase to the lowest responsible bidder, provided however, the City may reject any, all or any part of any bids. If the authority to award contracts has been delegated, shall award contracts. The Board of Aldermen may establish such other regulations for purchases and bidding as It deems appropriate.
When any purchase Involves an expenditure In excess of TwoThousand Dollars ($2,000.00) and does not exceed SevenThousand FiveHundred and Ninety Nine Dollars ($7,500.00), the Purchasing Agent, or In the case of the Board of Education, an agent designated by the Board of Education, shall obtain a minimum of three written proposals for the purchase of the item and shall make such purchase from the lowest responsible vendor, unless the Purchasing Agent, or In the case of the Board of Education, an agent designated by the Board of Education determines other wise and in that event, the Purchasing Agent or in the case, of the Board of Education, an agent designated by the Board of Education shall create and maintain a written record of the reasons for such choice.
"Purchase" as used herein shall be defined to include the purchase In any fiscal year of any item, service or combination of items or services which singly or in the aggregate total the amounts indicated herein. Aggregate purchases shall not be divided into smaller increments so as to avoid the provisions called for herein.
The Board of Aldermen and the Board of Education for its purchases shall establish by resolution those services which are considered as professional and as to which bidding is not required. The Board of Aldermen and the Board of Education respectively may by such resolution establish such procedures with regard thereto as each deems reasonable. When the purchase of goods and the provision for services are combined, that portion involving the purchase of goods shall be subject to the provisions of this section.
Waiver of Bids: Whenever the Purchasing Agent shall determine that bidding for any particular goods or services would be impractical, impossible, or unwise, the Purchasing Agent shall recommend to the Board of Aldermen that bids be waived. Each such recommendation shall be in writing and shall state its reason. If the Board approves such recommendation by an affirmative vote of at least six (6) of the eight (8) members, bids shall, be waived and the goods or services shall be purchased In such manner as the Board of Aldermen directs.
The Director of Finance shall record the amount of each authorized purchase and each contract for a future purchase a encumbrance against the appropriation from which it is paid or to be paid.
Each charge and prospective charge against at the City shall state the Department and the appropriation against which it is to be charged. The Director of Finance or his agent shall audit and approve as correct and valid each charge against the City and shall authorize payment of all approved charges in writing. At the end of each month the Board of Apportionment and Taxation shall review the charges against the City for the preceding month and may make recommendations to the Mayor concerning charges against the City.
The Director of Finance shall prescribe the time at which and the manner in which persons receiving money for the account of the City shall be paid.
Online Purchasing Forms
Current Bid Invitations
Please contact the Purchasing Department for complete Bid Packets
54 Hill Street – Second Floor
Shelton, CT 06484
(203) 924-1555 ext. 1506
Tuesday - Friday 8:00 A.M. – 5:30 P.M.
Federal Tax ID #:
To receive bid specifications please contact the purchasing department, (203) 924-1555 Ext.1304.
It is the responsibility of this Department to ensure public safety, health and welfare as they are affected by building construction. Compliance to State Building Codes is enforced to secure safety to life and property. The Building Department is responsible for plan review, issuing permits, completing inspections and issuing Certificates of Occupancy for all phases of building construction. Other responsibilities include demolition of buildings and housing code inspections.
Building in Shelton
The Building Department of the City of Shelton has prepared this information to aid you in obtaining the permits required for any kind of construction, addition or home improvements. It is our aim to better service all applications, issue permits promptly and, in general, help as much as possible to the completion of your project. We want to service your needs as quickly and efficiently as possible in accordance with all Statutes, Codes and Ordinances that apply. Remember, safety and health are keynotes in any kind of construction. Our prime interest is to assure that you, your customer, or your buyer will have the best finished product possible.
Procedure to Obtain a Building Permit & Sequence of Inspections
This applies to all construction. It includes new homes, renovations/rehabilitation, single/multiple dwellings, garages, solar, swimming pools, sheds, barns, commercial/industrial buildings, signs, demolition, as well as, fences, walls and terraces exceeding six feet in height.
- Site plan approval, plot plans (includes engineer, architect, landscape, etc. drawings for approval), as applicable to project developments, condominiums, etc. – Planning & Zoning Commission and approval of Inland Wetlands
- Apply for zoning compliance (Planning & Zoning Office)
- Apply to Engineering Dept. for street number assignment for all building lots
- Apply for Inland Wetlands compliance
- Apply for Tree Warden compliance
- Copy of contractor’s license & certificate of insurance
- Sewage system permit and approval of plans – Valley Health Dept. or Shelton Sewer Commission approval or Sewer Administrator
- Driveway permit application – Engineering Dept.
- Permits – Issued by Building Official or Assistant – Building, Solar, Generator, Electrical, Plumbing, Heating, A/C, Demolition, Swimming Pools, Signs, Wood Stove
- Construction begins – Inspections required:
- Footing (before concrete is poured)
- Foundation or finished masonry (before backfill) damp/waterproofing and footing drains
- Rough inspection including framing (shell, roof, bearing walls, fireplace, etc.), plumbing, heating and electrical
- Final on building – includes grading and soil stability
- Other inspections, as and if required:
- Inland Wetlands
- Fire Services
- Police Services
- Driveway – Engineering
- Well water approval – Valley Health Dept
- Sewage (Sanitary System) – VHD or Sewer Administrator
- Certificate of Zoning compliance
- Final Certificate of Occupancy inspection (CO MUST BE OBTAINED AT THE BUILDING OFFICE)
- Special Calls
- Temporary Electric Service
- Service connection on building
All previous inspections, as listed and as applicable, must be completed and approved before Certificate of Occupancy may be issued.
- Step 1, as applicable, must be completed before any further action may be taken
- Steps, 2, 3, and 4 must be completed before going to step 5
- After Building Permit has been issued, step 6, construction, may start. Other permits required must be applied for and issued before any of the related work may be started
- Inspections, as required and as applicable, will be made as requested, but need not necessarily be in the order listed
54 Hill Street – Third Floor
Shelton, CT 06484
(203) 924-1555 ext. 1517
Tuesday – Friday 8:00 A.M. – 5:30 P.M.
Tuesday – Friday 8:00 A.M. – 9:00 A.M., 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., 4:30 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.
Joseph Ballaro, Building Official